ABOUT THE BLOGGERS

Danielle and Rory are newlyweds living in Philadelphia, where they moved from their native Minnesota. They came to Philly for law school at Drexel University, but currently only Danielle has remained strong in her quest. She recently reached the end of her first year, and is now a legal rock star! For the summer she is interning at Philadelphia VIP (see post of February 26, "Spotlight: Philadelphia VIP"). Rory dropped out and is now working for a federal contractor as a writer. Check out the blog, where these happily-married white kids post about their adventures in food, a little travel, and then some more well-earned food. Sometimes, when Rory is asleep, Danielle even throws in some posts about crafts and other boring things, if you're into that.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Follow-ups and Updates

Well I have a few follow-ups on Danielle's last post regarding our awards. Firstly, she forgot to include a few pictures to help you contextualize. I emailed her the pictures, but maybe she thought they were too grainy. I, on the other hand, have no standards, so here they are:

Our Antenna Rig for watching Glee
The first picture (to the right) is our precarious television antenna, and from the picture you can see it was all because of Glee! The yellow and black thing coming out of the glass on the left is what Danielle referred to as a block puzzle snake thing. I have no better term for it.

Tri-state Liquors
Next, on the left is a picture of the Tri-state Liquors superstore that we visited in Delaware. The picture is nothing special, but it captures a moment that was very special to us. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my prediction, contrary to Danielle's, that our stockpile from that trip will NOT last us the entire semester. Either way, what an amazing experience. I felt like a pioneer, traveling westward from the colonies in order to find the land of opportunity and liquor.

Speaking of the land of opportunities, during that trip Danielle and I also found another treasure: regularly-priced Velveeta! This delicious "cheese product" is useful for many household purposes, but due to its dangerous and mysterious properties we can only bring ourselves to use it exclusively as an ingredient, along with Hormel chili (with or without beans, the debate rages on), to make chili-cheese dip! Chili-cheese dip has been one of my favoritest treats in the whole wide world for several years. Thankfully, last fall we only bought one block of Velveeta because it costs around $11 in the grocery stores near our apartment! This prohibitive pricing saved my arteries, but no longer: we literally cleared out the Acme grocery store shelf (three blocks) when we found it for the recommended retail value of $5.99. Didn't think I could write a paragraph about something so trivial? Hopefully this proves to you how important chili-cheese dip is to me.

I have two last items that were not nominated for awards last week, but which deserve honorable mention. First, thanks to Mom and Dad for getting me The Matrix on Blu-ray for Christmas! Danielle and I watched it last weekend (me for the 100th time, her for the 1st) and we both loved it. We even ordered the second and third movies in the series on Amazon, because we have no lives. Seriously: since being back in Philadelphia after the holidays we have almost completed the first three seasons of The Big Bang Theory, watched several movies, and spent a significant number of hours playing video games. We also spend the majority of our weekdays at school, so I cannot account for these extra hours. I guess time just stops when you are as in love as us! Of course, you are probably not supposed to spend that frozen time staring at a TV screen, but we will not be confined to archaic notions of what love is supposed to be:) Just kidding, we are normal and awesome. I have to say that because when Danielle reads this she is going to be mad at me, but we will just play Mario Kart and all will be well again!

Secondly/lastly, the giant mama cockroach from the award show post is dead. Two nights ago, Danielle was getting ready for bed and began to scream. I came into the bathroom, and she explained that she had HEARD the cockroach climbing up the shower curtain. I looked and it was not there, but then after a moment it emerged from its hiding place in the bathtub and I triumphantly and bravely smashed the crap out of it with my sandal. Danielle couldn't even look at it, but I snapped some photos that we will post later (I am writing this post in the library at school, and the camera is at home). Seriously though, that sucker was three times bigger than any cockroach we have yet had in our apartment. I pray that we do not have a new breed settling in.

So look for those pictures soon, and have a great weekend everyone!

-Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment